Skip to main content

Life In Death Chapter 1


Life In Death

“Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.”
-Norman Cousins

Chapter One
            My brother and I sat in the near-bare hospital room and watched my father breathe his last living breaths. Months before this moment, the doctors had told us all that there was nothing to stop the cancer now, that there were no more lung snippets to take without suffocating the man I had grown to respect. Weeks later, he made this hospital bed permanent, shrinking into it like a deflating blow-up doll. Minutes prior to his final living breath, my father spoke his last words, which were simply, “It’s about time.” We sat there now, waiting for the flat line, and the answer to our long awaited question.
            It finally came, and the high-pitched tone of the machine was deafening. We bowed our heads in respect to this long-awaited outcome.
            Then our father opened his eyes.
            “Well?” my brother, Jared, asked anxiously.
            “Well nothing,” said our father as he looked around the room. “Get me out of this bed and take me home now. If I have to eat any more Jell-O out of that fairy nurse’s hands I swear he’ll be in this bed next.” He tried to sit up, but it looked as if all his energy were going to his protests. “You should’ve seen him when he washed my backside; spent a whole hour down there, I swear. It’s weird, I tell ya.”
            My brother’s shoulders sank. “Dad,” he started, “tell us what it’s like! What’d you feel?”
            “It feels like I crapped my skimmies,” said Dad. He turned his sunken face toward me. “Casper, can you check down there and see? Better you than that damn nurse.”
            This would turn out to be my first up-close, personal encounter with death. At the time, I was twelve and my brother was fourteen. Our aunt had started taking care of us once my father had become bedridden. She had left us with him so that we could be there for his final moments with life and so that we could get the answers that we had eagerly anticipated. Instead, I was stuck reaching behind my dad, checking his soiled sheets.
            “Dad, there’s nothing there that I can feel or see,” I said. “It’s wet though.”
            “Eh, must be piss,” he said, sounding relieved. “I guess the textbooks were right. Sit my damn bed up.” Jared pushed the button to lean him up just as the door behind us swung open and the nurse my father spoke so highly of pushed his way in. “Ah, damn it,” Dad said. He had hated this place since the day of his admission. “What’s the point?” he had said. “It’s not like dead is dead anymore anyway.”
            “Mr. Carson,” said the nurse as he turned off the EKG machine, “how was it?” He asked it as if my father had just eaten at a steakhouse he’d suggested to him earlier.
            “Well, it wasn’t all blowjobs and butterflies, if that’s what you’re asking,” Dad said. “I’m sure you know enough about those.”
The nurse, Jimmy, laughed and placed his hand on my father’s shoulder. “You’re lucky I like you Mr. Carson,” he said. “Only you would be able to guess my two favorite things in life, but just so you know, you’re also included on that list.”
“Ah, shit, Jimmy,” my father said, and placed his hand over the nurse’s, “it hurt till the end. I don’t wish this on no one.”
“Well,” said Jimmy, releasing his hand and turning to us, “it’s over, and I’m sure your boys are wondering what it was like, aren’t you boys?”
“Sure are,” we said in unison.
My father looked down, sobering his thoughts like he usually did before his words became serious. “I know you two have been waiting for an answer since this whole mess started,” he said, “but I’m afraid you’ll have to find it all out for yourselves, and God willing, that won’t be until you’re too old to care.” My dad reached over and touched my hand, rare for any occasion. “Some things in life, or whatever the hell this is, are meant to be experienced, not explained.”
We took him home that night after my aunt signed some paperwork, and we continued to watch after him the next few months that he was around. He ate and drank normally, which had baffled me, and my constant questioning of things soon became just wind in his ear. I’d ask, “How are you still hungry? You can still get drunk? What’s that horrible smell?”
“Listen, son,” he’d say, in an increasingly weathered voice, “I didn’t make the rules of this gig, I just abide by them. Stop asking so many goddamn questions, ya hear? I’ll make sure and take them to the top of the ranks when I get there.”
That smell, I later learned, was his body eating itself, and he died again in his bed a few months after, completely rotted from the inside out.
I finally cried for my dead father.

-----

Bright lights, walking through a tunnel, total darkness, angels, a meet and greet with Saint Peter, long lost loved ones, feelings of ultimate ecstasy—everyone got it wrong. The first to try to explain death in full detail after his rerising said that he really couldn’t put the feeling of dying into words. The next few said that it was like being kissed everywhere inside yourself, all at the same moment. Some say it’s like being turned inside out, or imploding within. After a while, it just seemed like everyone was trying to outdo each other with their descriptions; no one seemed to be able to fully describe it right. One would hear about tasting rainbows, or shitting candy, or flying, and everything else imaginable and in between. It all just became so unrelated to the real world; there was nothing on earth like it. Unless you were an enthusiastic eater of Skittles, who really knew what it was like to die, besides the dead themselves? It became a cult topic among many theorists who sat around talking and shaking their heads on television like it would solve anything, but like every other pressing matter on earth, mankind seemed to think that talking about it was the best step toward progress.

-----

My father had passed over twenty years ago, and society has now adapted to the rerisings as well as it does with these types of things. It seems to me that there’s always been shit that goes on unexplained in this world that we, as imperfect humans, just learn to accept as normal happenings: objects in the sky, airline disappearances, whole societies and species from a time long ago that just seem to go up in smoke. There are even the daily questionable situations: why your farts never seem to stink as bad as others’, if Elvis or Tupac are really dead or not, why we insist on still keeping up with the damn Kardashians. All these things seem to matter but they are unsolvable to the point of acceptance. When the dead started walking, it was just another question of life that joined the list.
I ran into my fist postmort, as they eventually came to be called, on my way to school one day. They had been on the news for years but I had yet to see one up close and personal. He was a homeless man whose greying skin hung from him in folds. It grossly reminded me of the time that I had accidentally walked in on my grandma undressing; she had her back to me and her underwear was hanging from her age-worn behind. Seeing that man back then, it was something, but for some reason, seeing my grandma like that, all near-naked and exposed, it still haunts me to this day.
The postmort had asked me for change, which I provided, and then I just went on with my day. At the time, my father had just been diagnosed, so death to me was still just a big question mark; it was a word that ran along with others like God, heaven, and sex. It was only three years later that I could stick those four words into a sentence without so much as a flinch. They just were. Who cares and life goes on.
Soon after my father’s death, my life went to shit. It’s a sob story like the best types one can see the American Idol judges falling for on TV, but I’ll just sum it up and say that I thought life was worse than it really was, so I drank to compensate for everything I presumed I was missing, just like good-ol’ Dad. It didn’t work, so I drank more, and my life soon became an echo of the Saturday Night Serenity stories I hear on a weekly basis now—full of loneliness and false hope.
I’ve become a cynic like the worst of us, and the world has become a spinning, literal reminder of the cycle we addicts loop ourselves into, each day just running into the other. Even my brother pushed away from me, gained a new family, and moved as far from Seattle as possible. Things aren’t the same without him nearby, but I’ve adapted. It’s what we do, as humans, at least those still alive. We adapt. We live on. We go until we can’t.

Tonight’s meeting thus far is a disaster. People around me stir around anxiously as the speaker, a damn postmort, spills his guts to the room—almost literally. The room smells of stale coffee, stale perfume, and his grotesque, stale innards. He shows us the scars of the surgeries that did no good and pictures of his dead liver that finally gave out after years of abuse. He tells us of his failed marriage and the two kids that he is leaving behind. With each minute that I sit and stare at this talking failure, who is trying to tell me how to live my already failed life, I grow increasingly annoyed that no one has spoken up and said how much of a walking contradiction this guy is. How dare he try to give us hope and tell us how to live life after he has already failed so miserably with his? Not only that, but the man forces his smell onto us, which he tries to mask with some Versace knockoff that he no doubt bought at the Macy’s in the downtown square.
I can no longer take it. When it’s time to share, I let my voice be heard. “Most days I just sit here and listen,” I start to say when it’s my turn to speak. “I like to hear the stories. It makes me feel like my life isn’t so shitty in the moment. Other days I really feel compelled to share but just can’t think of the words to say.” I stop to take a deep breath, and think about if I should go on. Yes, today there is no holding back. “Then there are days—rare, but like today, they do happen—when someone’s diarrhea of the mouth reeks of such idiosyncratic ignorance and hypocrisy that I can just no longer hold my tongue.
“Everything that man just said,” I point at the dying man as I speak to the room, “is such crap that I don’t know how half of us haven’t run out to grab a drink to drown the sorrow that he just put us in. I mean, it’s fucking outrageous how he can sit there and be so calm about dying and then try to tell us that things are going to turn out okay! What’s the damn point of it all if we are just going to end up like this guy and be miserable, despite it all?” I stop to try to breathe.
“Casper,” someone says behind me after a brief moment of silence.
“No,” I say. “I am entitled to my opinion—” I turn to see who mouthed my name, “Gene.” I turn back to the dead man. “Seriously man, you’re dead. What right do you have to come in here and tell us how to do things? Isn’t it just supposed to be ‘what it was like, what happened, and what it’s like now’? How is your life now, umm—“
“Colton,” says the stiff, while squinting at me with his stare of death.
“How is it Colton? How’s life for you now?” I cross my arms and lean back in my chair. I inhale deeply as I try to calm my thoughts and rage.
“I was merely—“
“No,” interrupts the secretary. “We will not turn this into a discussion. Casper, if you’re uncomfortable with the speaker, then you’re welcome to—“
“Yeah, I’m going,” I say. I push my chair back and ensure that it scrapes the ground and is loud enough to cause a ruckus—for effect, of course—then leave. Outside, the rain falls on my sweaty hair as I step out on to the curb. To my right stands the bus stop, which leads home. To my left, the corner mart’s double doors stare at me and mock me from afar.
I fish in my right pocket with my hand and feel for the matted up bills within. I count them—just enough. Perhaps I was too harsh on the guy. I cough into my hand and take five steps toward the bus stop. I should go back in and apologize. I fish in my left pocket and grab the cigarette pack within. I light one up, look to the ground, and turn toward the corner mart. There is no going back. I begin to walk to buy my beer.
We go until we can’t; I always told myself that, and I believed it too, until the doctor told me that I was going to die.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robin Red - Chapter 3

Chapter 3 I don’t tell my brother about my date but leave the restaurant right on time to go home and get changed. On the way to the hotel where Eric is staying, something feels off. My brother’s words have more of an impact than I could have expected and begin to weigh down on me heavily. He had never completely cleared up what he was trying to get at, but I get the idea that his thoughts went deeper than his words. Now, this feeling in my gut can either be the clams I’d eaten or just intuition talking, with both telling me to turn around and go back home. What I really want is Bill, not this Eric character, but Bill and I were incomplete. There is a crack in our foundation that threatens to crumble what we have built if I push too hard and too fast. I need to solidify our base, and for that, I suppose people like Eric come in handy. I’ll do anything to make myself feel complete. I arrive on time, nervous yet eager to get it over with. I wear the same outfit on all of my fi

Icepick

Some recent friends of mine have been posting memories from their past, so I decided to type out an old writing from my prison book. I’ve been slowly transferring all of them to electronic format, but I’m definitely not getting them out as quickly as I would like. Good friends of mine know about my memory issues, and writing helps me remember, so here’s one of the few sober memories that I’ve been able to retain. I know it’s a little long, and that this generation only has the attention span akin to gnats and only like to read shorthand, emojis, and memes, but bear with me. More to come. Icepick – Written 6/11/16             It was the summer of 2010, I believe, and a part of me wishes that I could call it a simpler time. I lived at a place called “Madhouse,” and for anonymity purposes, we’ll just keep it at that. Why is it called Madhouse? Because the place is a fucking madhouse—don’t ask stupid questions. In actuality, it is a series of houses, and I was lucky enough to l

Here, Have an Egg

Ohh the anxiety-ridden, all-knowing teenager  years. This is one of the first writings of a memory I wrote years ago.  Here, Have an Egg – Written 5/21/15             At the very beginning of my rebellious days as a teenager, one of the first acts of proving my solitude and the transition into manhood was learning to sneak out of the house, successfully. I was well into my first year of high school and my girlfriend at the time—let’s call her Liz—yearned to partake with me in this mischievous task so that we could both “hang out” more intimately. Not seeing any other way around it, and being the eager fifteen year old that I was, I succumbed to my pubescent urges and complied.             My parents were three years divorced, and at the time, lived in the same city still so that it would make it easier for my brother and I to travel back and forth from each of their houses week by week. My brother never seemed to mind it so much, mostly because he could drive, which in turn