Skip to main content

Life In Death Chapter 2


Chapter 2
The saying still rings true, I suppose, except now I’ve just given in; the “can’t” has come sooner than expected. My cynicism and disparagement in life comes with the territory. It started back when things were simpler, before the shakes and the seizures. The doctors told me that when they started, the alcohol was weakening my immune system. When paired with the chronic smoking, it all just gave me a greater chance to meet the reaper through the exact same hand my father had been dealt. Having never been that great at poker, I chanced my life with a bluff, and bet it all into the pot of gold that was part of the delusion that the disease reflected at the bottom of each bottle that I drank nightly and with each hourly cigarette. Eight years later, now at forty two years old, the doc handed me some papers with eyes that said, “I told you so.” I’d be dead within a year.
My father, who had actually never smoked a day in his life, cursed God for the deceptiveness of the fortunate hand he’d held. He had been given a winning four of a kind, only to be duped by the high and mighty royal flush. As for me, I looked down through squinted, drunk eyes and continued to see a winning hand through and through, only to look a little closer when I sobered to see four suicidal jacks staring back at me. God plays a sick game, so I’ve folded in shame. I always hated poker anyways.

-----
The apartment I sit in stands empty, with everything sold to support this gruesome habit. All that’s left is my computer, TV, and recliner chair, where I sit nightly, watching the world go by without even a nod to my existence.
Tonight, on TV, postmorts are rioting downtown. The government is trying to pass a law that would have them all sent off to some sort of segregated holding camp where they can all rot and die “in peace.” City workers are tired of scraping the remains of the rotted homeless and outcasts out of alleyways and street gutters, and everyone seems to be getting as sick of the smell as I am. It’s hard to walk the streets these days without spotting one, unlike before, when one would be hard-pressed to see even one dead shuffler a week. Their droopy grey skin, missing teeth, and yellowish eyes are always dead giveaways. Shit, half the people in my meeting look that way in their post relapse days. It’s a sad day when one realizes that the company he chooses to keep are the walking, talking, symbols of zombies.
I pick up the beer off the table next to me and take a long gulp.  My stomach grumbles in hunger as the near-warm liquid hits it. I pick up my phone and hold down the number two button—the speed dial to the Jimmy John’s down the street. After two rings, someone picks up, but it sounds like they fumble the phone in the process.
“What’s up Casper?” I hear when they finally get it together. I cringe—it’s my brother’s voice.
“Jared?”
“Yes?” he says, elongated and higher pitched. I want to punch myself for my mistake. When had I switched the two numbers?
“I didn’t, umm, hi,” I say.
“You’re drinking.” His words come out just as I remember my mother saying them to my father back in her day. Somehow, she always knew.
“Don’t start, please. It’s the last thing I need today. So, what’s the good word?”
“Nothing’s really new from the last time we talked,” he pauses for a moment, “whenever that was.” Everything good with you, besides the normal things wrong?”
“Everything is normal,” I sigh and take another drink. “I’m fine. Just watching the news. World’s going to shit, so yeah, nothing new.  You see the news yesterday, about the couple?”
“Yeah, I saw. It seems like it wasn’t supposed to go down like that. The wife committed suicide by taking some pills and the husband came home and found her. I guess they had made a pact that if either one of them had died then they would end it again for each other, just so that they wouldn’t have to drag out the prolonged goodbye and suffer through it. The husband shot her with the gun they kept. I guess she wasn’t even dead yet, not even close; she was just unconscious. He’s going down for murder now. He’ll be suffering through her death for a lot longer than he ever anticipated, it seems.”
The story makes me think of my fate and what I would become. How long would I have to suffer? How would my brother do with the same agony? I begin to cough and hold the phone away from my face. The fit is bad, but I end it by alternating holding my breath and taking deep breaths, a tactic I’d learned through the last few months. “Sorry,” I say when I begin to breathe easy again.
“God, you sound like you’re dying,” Jared says passively. His voice bears the weight of sarcasm yet his words sting with a shock of intense gravity, as if he had said that he was disowning me as a brother. I feel the tears in my throat before they reach my eyes. I swallow them down with another gulp of beer then rotate the can in my hand as I stare at it, looking for answers.
“I am,” I hear myself say.
“Are what?” Jared asks.
“The doc says it could be three months, possibly more. He’s surprised I’m still functioning so well without the oxygen, like dad had to get. I guess it’s in my blood now too or something.”
“Or something?” he exclaims, more serious now; the weight is getting heavier. “Casper, what are you saying?”
“Cancer is a hell of a thing, Jared. I guess I’ll get our answer sooner than I had hoped.”
There’s silence on the phone for longer than I can handle. The walls of the room feel like they are creating a pressure in my head, as if I were deep underwater, drowning in the depths of the secret that I had kept from my own brother for so long. “How long have you known this?” Jared finally says.
“Six months. I’m sorry bro.”
“Don’t be fucking sorry Casper. You should have told me, but—are you, are you in the city still?”
“Same place.”
“I’m on the first plane I can find. I’ll call you back in a bit.”
“No Jared!” I say with force. “Don’t you fucking dare.” I hear the phone click off before I can finish talking. I don’t want to see him, at least not the way I’ve been going lately. I can’t call him back because I don’t know how to say such a thing.
I finish the beer in my hand and throw the empty can against the wall. On television, the empty yet angry protesting eyes of the dead stare back at me.

-----
They believe they still have souls. They believe they all have rights. They seem to be multiplying, just like the flies on their corpses. Is our world just that close to death that God sent his walking carrions to remind us of the fact? I walk senselessly, day by day, and am reminded at every corner of how lifeless life has really become. It has gotten harder for me to differentiate between the living and the dead; both are caught in hypnotic trances and mundane zombie tasks of the everyday laborer, all carried on by repetition and routine. Corpses, all of us. Rotten to the core. We stare at our phones and drool over videos while walking without a care or notice of where we are going. Not a day goes by when I don’t feel stuck in this pathetic hallucination. Each body is just a shadow of the next, walking in unison down the line toward finality. I’m the worst of them—an apparition of my former self, buying and stealing beer, waiting to fall in that line to catch a glimpse of His last laugh. A person can’t even escape anymore, at least not the old-fashioned way. No cutting, pill taking, hanging, or the like. They say a shot in the head is best, or burning. I think about this as I walk into the corner mart. The man behind the corner is no longer Asian-American. His tone is no longer vibrant. His eyes are no longer fixed or aware. He just is. He exists on this world for no other reason but to die again. When did he pass¸ I wonder. I want to ask, and how, but his eyes—the only emotion left— are as sad and droopy as a sick puppy’s. There’s no life left, I realize. No drive. He doesn’t belong. His destiny is elsewhere now. He is just like me.
I walk out with my beer in tow, feeling like my only purpose in life, my only task, is complete.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robin Red - Chapter 3

Chapter 3 I don’t tell my brother about my date but leave the restaurant right on time to go home and get changed. On the way to the hotel where Eric is staying, something feels off. My brother’s words have more of an impact than I could have expected and begin to weigh down on me heavily. He had never completely cleared up what he was trying to get at, but I get the idea that his thoughts went deeper than his words. Now, this feeling in my gut can either be the clams I’d eaten or just intuition talking, with both telling me to turn around and go back home. What I really want is Bill, not this Eric character, but Bill and I were incomplete. There is a crack in our foundation that threatens to crumble what we have built if I push too hard and too fast. I need to solidify our base, and for that, I suppose people like Eric come in handy. I’ll do anything to make myself feel complete. I arrive on time, nervous yet eager to get it over with. I wear the same outfit on all of my fi

Icepick

Some recent friends of mine have been posting memories from their past, so I decided to type out an old writing from my prison book. I’ve been slowly transferring all of them to electronic format, but I’m definitely not getting them out as quickly as I would like. Good friends of mine know about my memory issues, and writing helps me remember, so here’s one of the few sober memories that I’ve been able to retain. I know it’s a little long, and that this generation only has the attention span akin to gnats and only like to read shorthand, emojis, and memes, but bear with me. More to come. Icepick – Written 6/11/16             It was the summer of 2010, I believe, and a part of me wishes that I could call it a simpler time. I lived at a place called “Madhouse,” and for anonymity purposes, we’ll just keep it at that. Why is it called Madhouse? Because the place is a fucking madhouse—don’t ask stupid questions. In actuality, it is a series of houses, and I was lucky enough to l

Here, Have an Egg

Ohh the anxiety-ridden, all-knowing teenager  years. This is one of the first writings of a memory I wrote years ago.  Here, Have an Egg – Written 5/21/15             At the very beginning of my rebellious days as a teenager, one of the first acts of proving my solitude and the transition into manhood was learning to sneak out of the house, successfully. I was well into my first year of high school and my girlfriend at the time—let’s call her Liz—yearned to partake with me in this mischievous task so that we could both “hang out” more intimately. Not seeing any other way around it, and being the eager fifteen year old that I was, I succumbed to my pubescent urges and complied.             My parents were three years divorced, and at the time, lived in the same city still so that it would make it easier for my brother and I to travel back and forth from each of their houses week by week. My brother never seemed to mind it so much, mostly because he could drive, which in turn